UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

5 posters

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!!

mattyb82
    mattyb82
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!! Empty Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!!

Post  mattyb82 Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:15 pm

2013 has been Epic for fossil collecting so far.

The Isle of Wight has been hit with Heavy Rain and strong winds not including the snow, the cliff erosion have been massive this year. I when down the beach over christmas Period and the waves coming onto the shore Line where well over 20ft. It settle for a while over January and i found some amazing fossils..

This is one of my newest finds,im slowly piecing it back together, i managed to clean most of the heavy matrix off with my Dremall but it really needs a air tool to finish.

Its a Iguanodon atherfieldensis Vertebrae.

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!! Iguano17

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!! Iguano18

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!! Iguano19

I have also found loads of rolled bone, also a lot that need Prep-work.

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!! Rib_se10 Large Rib section about 10in long.

But the Best thing ive found this year is this:- Its gone to the Museum to be looked at and prepared because there a strong chance its Baryonyx

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!! Jaw_bo10 Jaw with broken tooth.

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!! Jaw_bo11

When i get a chance i will take some more pictures, I found yesterday another jaw section but i need to get it looked at first, before i do anything.
    Kosmos
    Kosmos
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!! Empty Re: Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!!

Post  Kosmos Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Stunning finds! Well done, I can't wait to see more! I have also had a great year with finds so far, found a large rare ptychodus tooth yesterday an inch long.
    Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!! Empty Re: Isle Of Wight Finds Janury 2013 SO FAR!!

Post  Chapwi Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Very very nice finds
    ermaster
    ermaster
    Silurian Rank
    Silurian Rank

Post  ermaster Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:28 am

Brilliant finds Very Happy
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Jeez.. 3 years and I'm yet to find any dino over on the IOW.

Edit: Where abouts did you find these?
    mattyb82
    mattyb82
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  mattyb82 Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Depends on the time of year really!!

If the weather has been bad then normally around the brighstone bay area, but I do have a special place between brook and brighstone, were alot of my stuff comes from!!

If your ever on the isle of Wight drop me a line and I can give you a few tips. If you want rolled bone then you can pick that up any time of year as-long as the shingle is on the beach. The more complete stuff, you can only really find when the cliff have fallen after a heavy rain or the surf has been high.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:07 pm