UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

5 posters

Yaxley

ermaster
    ermaster
    Silurian Rank
    Silurian Rank

Yaxley - Page 2 Empty Re: Yaxley

Post  ermaster Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Kosmos wrote:
    ermaster wrote:that starfish is perfect i want it Razz
    I am sure you will find your own crinoid stem some day, you have plenty of collecting time in front of you.
    ..... it looks so like a starfish, i really should get better at recognising fossils and i should use there latin names (if they have) and thank you for correcting me about the crinoid stem if you didn't i would still think they are starfish Razz (i kinda should have guessed it wasnt as star fish are to brittle normaly to be like that)
    Kosmos
    Kosmos
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  Kosmos Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:07 am

ermaster wrote:
    Kosmos wrote:
    I am sure you will find your own crinoid stem some day, you have plenty of collecting time in front of you.
    ..... it looks so like a starfish, i really should get better at recognising fossils and i should use there latin names (if they have) and thank you for correcting me about the crinoid stem if you didn't i would still think they are starfish Razz (i kinda should have guessed it wasnt as star fish are to brittle normaly to be like that)
    They do look very similar. The first one I found I thought was a starfish, that was several years ago now, this summer I will find that specimen in Sweden, it is in storage there ready to come back and catalogued into the collection. I would recomend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DK-Handbook-Fossils-David-Ward/dp/0751327964 Very good for fossil ID at the start.
    wegener
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Post  wegener Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:40 am

Kosmos wrote:
    ermaster wrote:
    Kosmos wrote:
    They do look very similar. The first one I found I thought was a starfish, that was several years ago now, this summer I will find that specimen in Sweden, it is in storage there ready to come back and catalogued into the collection. I would recomend this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DK-Handbook-Fossils-David-Ward/dp/0751327964 Very good for fossil ID at the start.

basically it is a star fish,early echinerderms
    Kosmos
    Kosmos
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  Kosmos Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:51 am

Yes, same group, so are similar.
    ermaster
    ermaster
    Silurian Rank
    Silurian Rank

Post  ermaster Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:09 am

thanks for the book recomendation Smile i will look into getting it

Oh and Welcome to the forum wegener Very Happy
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:11 pm

I sense the need for some geekery here! geek Echinodermata is broken up in 5 main groups, Echinoidea (echinoids- sea urchins), Asteroidea (asteroids- 'starfish/sea stars'), Crinoidea (crinoids- sea lilies), Holothuroidea [will have to check the spelling] (sea cucumbers), I sense the need for some geekery here! geek Echinodermata is broken up in 5 main groups, Echinoidea (echinoids- sea urchins), Asteroidea (asteroids- 'starfish/sea stars'), Crinoidea (crinoids- sea lilies), Holothuroidea (holothuroids- sea cucumbers), Ophiuroidea (ophiuroids- brittle stars). Only echinoids and crinoids fossilise readily, as they have hard parts on the outside as well as the insie, whereas the others only have seperate internal skeletons that don't join together so unless you're in a Laagertatte you're unlikely to find any complete ones, just isolated elements.
    Kosmos
    Kosmos
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  Kosmos Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:14 pm

Nice geekyness!

Some of the finds -

Yaxley - Page 2 00812
    wegener
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Post  wegener Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:29 am

macrocephale wrote:I sense the need for some geekery here! geek Echinodermata is broken up in 5 main groups, Echinoidea (echinoids- sea urchins), Asteroidea (asteroids- 'starfish/sea stars'), Crinoidea (crinoids- sea lilies), Holothuroidea [will have to check the spelling] (sea cucumbers), I sense the need for some geekery here! geek Echinodermata is broken up in 5 main groups, Echinoidea (echinoids- sea urchins), Asteroidea (asteroids- 'starfish/sea stars'), Crinoidea (crinoids- sea lilies), Holothuroidea (holothuroids- sea cucumbers), Ophiuroidea (ophiuroids- brittle stars). Only echinoids and crinoids fossilise readily, as they have hard parts on the outside as well as the insie, whereas the others only have seperate internal skeletons that don't join together so unless you're in a Laagertatte you're unlikely to find any complete ones, just isolated elements.

That wicki stat has been updated and the understanding of these things are now an open book, ive recently found that what i thought where rogose coral are infact Stromatoporoid
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:19 am

Hehe that wasn't from Wiki, that was from my Palaeontology lecture for the world leader in fossil Echinoderms! geek

Stromatoporoids are a type of sponge and one of the most important Palaeozoic reef-builders, but they can look similar to many types of coral in thin and hand specimen. They were allied closer to corals in the past as well I think, things are changing a lot these days in taxonomy with all the genetic studies being done in recent years. thumbsup

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 8:18 pm