UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

2 posters

North american dromeasaurs with feathers....I doubt it

swgnate
    swgnate
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

North american dromeasaurs with feathers....I doubt it Empty North american dromeasaurs with feathers....I doubt it

Post  swgnate Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:53 am

i see every reconstruction of raptors...troodontids or any dromeasaur these days has feathers. Im sorry but I honestly think this is a mongolia only, thing. none of the north american raptors I have heard of have been found with feathers, yet their reconstructions show feathers. so far the only evidence they put up is that microraptor had feathers therefore all of them must have had feathers. I am a firm believer in the dinosaur - bird connection but I think that the connection finalized in mongolia before anywhere else in the world.

I am not sure if the dromeasaurs in south america had feathers but im seeing the same pattern of very little fossil evidence for feathers in south american theropods where they rely on the microraptor template to determine it has feathers. I think we Should more throughly research and use Physical evidence, instead of comparing across continents...

an Example would be that cretaceous african fauna had sails on their spines... did anyone else think it was perculiar that Spinosaurus and ouronasaurus both had sails? or that this seems to be common place in animals in Africa... to my knowledge no other sailed hadrosaurs have been found anywhere else...please correct me if im wrong. I am aware the same cant be said for theropods... spinosaurus had irritator which was also Semi-sailed but I digress.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the issue?? If you see any errors here please correct me lol
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

North american dromeasaurs with feathers....I doubt it Empty Re: North american dromeasaurs with feathers....I doubt it

Post  macrocephale Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:52 pm

There have been many maniraptorans found with feathers, including several dromeosaurs (including V. mongoliensis I believe), as well as oviraptorsaurians, alvarezsaurids and many other therapods. The reason that none have been found in america (I'm not too sure but I think i did hear something about one in the states) is that feathers are very hard to preserve, and the classic 'bone beds' (an often frequently misused term) do not preserve soft tissue, including feathers, at all. The formations in China (not Mongolia) that do preserve feathers (there are a couple of other such deposits around the world) do so because they lithify and so fossilise very rapidly, due to the rock type, allowing finer details to remain (also partially explains the Burgess shale, and the Chiungchussu shale of similar age in china).
    Also, there were some cretaceous age feathers found in amber in Canada. They are much more likely to be dinosaur feathers than those of birds, as by 80 Ma (when the amber is dated to) birds had already evolved fully asymmetric flight feathers, and those found in the amber more closely resemble feathers found in the Chinese sediments. (The link to the feathers in amber is on the news page of this forum.)

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:36 pm