UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

5 posters

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff

piesandbeer
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff Empty Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff

Post  piesandbeer Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:40 am

Hi all

I'm new to the site,  Discovered the joys of fossil hunting whilst on a family holiday to Lyme Regis about 18 months ago, I've found some bits and bobs since then, mostly from Kent where I live and also from the Isle of Wight.

I have a few objects that I can't identify, indeed they might not all be fossils at all!  I would be grateful if anyone has a spare few minutes to cast their eye over them and let me know what they think... (There's two photos of each)

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff Whitecliff1Asm_zps6991d69b

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff Whitecliff1Bsm_zps0d95470f

I found the above sticking out of a lump of chalk at the west end of Whitecliff Bay on the Isle of Wight

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff Whitecliff2Asm_zpsb5c41a89

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff Whitecliff2Bsm_zpscc0a7210

This was also from Whitecliff Bay, but was from the clay nest to the chalk (Reading formation according to the UK fossil Network page)

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff 1Bsm_zpsca994d3c

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff 1Asm_zps89b9cbb7

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff 2Bsm_zps8dba0676

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff 2Asm_zps839397e2

The last two where found on the beach at Compton Bay IOW

Any help greatly appreciated!

Mark
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff Empty Re: Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff

Post  macrocephale Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:47 am

The first is a bivalve shell with a small encruster on it (another bivalve (a type of oyster in this case) living cemented to the shell). The second looks like a lump of pyrite, the third and fourth I have no idea but it's possible they're both just rocks. The third is possibly sponge worn (sponges that bore into rocks/shells for anchorage) rather than the spongey texture of bone.
    Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff Empty Re: Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff

Post  Chapwi Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:43 am

I think the first two are echinoids
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:35 pm

Craig, you mean the first one? The second pic is the first one upside down. I can kind of see echinoid in the first picture but from the bottom it looks more like a bivalve to me, piesandbeer any chance of some more pictures of it?
    piesandbeer
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Post  piesandbeer Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:16 pm

Thanks everyone - here's some more images of the bivalve-echinoid thing...

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff WhatisitWhitecliffBayIOWsm_zpsa9859152

Another question if you don't mind - I've been down to Beltinge a few times in the last month or so and found loads of sharks teeth have attached a pic of the best ones below..

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff SharksTeethCrop_zps3ea70333

whilst sorting through I noticed a couple of them look different (below)- are they the teeth of something else or sharks teeth that have worn differently?

Hello - And help Identifying Some Stuff Teethbeltingesm_zps24fdf8a3
    stevesnowball
    stevesnowball
    Admin

Post  stevesnowball Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:48 pm

The teeth look to be reptilian, probably a crocodile, which are quite common at this locality.
    Kosmos
    Kosmos
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  Kosmos Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:02 pm

The first one is without doubt a crushed echinoid, most likely echinocorys. Your "different teeth" look like crab claw sections (modern) to me.
    piesandbeer
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Post  piesandbeer Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:04 pm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-V-F-Echinocorys-scuata-UK-Cretaceous-Echinoid-/330778594138

Link to an echinocorys on e-bay - looks about right

Unfortunately I also think you're right re the teeth Kosmos, had a look on the internet after your reply and they do look like crab claws. stevesnowball, I was hoping they might be croc teeth... oh well never mind - back to the beach...!

stevesnowball
    stevesnowball
    Admin

Post  stevesnowball Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:16 am

Yes. Crab claws! I hadn't really considered them and I suspect the 'weight' of them would have eventually given it away. Never mind and problem solved.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:34 pm