UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

4 posters

New UKAFH leader Steve Snowball

Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

New UKAFH leader Steve Snowball Empty New UKAFH leader Steve Snowball

Post  Chapwi Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 am

Were very pleased to announce Steve has joined the UKAFH team

Message from Steve,
    Hi everyone. It's great to be part of this growing group and of the UKAFH team.

I started my interest in fossils (and particularly dinosaurs) from about 7 years old, when I bought some plastic dinosaur models in Woolworths! Like most youngsters, I always wanted to find a real dinosaur skeleton and I dug a hole in my North London back garden to a depth of about eight feet, in order to discover one! However, my luck was in, eventually. When I was about 10, I visited a large brick pit in Buckinghamshire and with the help of a kindly 'uncle' who worked there, I came away with a large box of bones, some pretty large. They were of marine reptiles, (including plesiosaurs, icthyosaurs and crocodiles) from the Oxford Clay, which were identified by the Natural History Museum in South Kensington - not bad for my very first proper fossil hunt!

And so, I got the bug and since then I've collected at every opportunity. As a student, I was based in Weymouth for four years and the Jurassic Coast was right on my doorstep. It's still my favourite spot and I go back there just about every year, especially on family holidays, even if it's for a short break. Of course, fossil hunting is always somewhere on the agenda.

These days, I live in East Sussex and I've very recently taken early retirement from my job as a primary school headteacher (34 years in teaching was enough, thanks!). I now have the time to pursue my other interests, without the pressures of the day job! Joining UKAFH means meeting new faces, taking in new places and fresh air and looking for fossils at some great locations throughout the coming years. Wonderful!

New UKAFH leader Steve Snowball Img_0510
    ermaster
    ermaster
    Silurian Rank
    Silurian Rank

New UKAFH leader Steve Snowball Empty Re: New UKAFH leader Steve Snowball

Post  ermaster Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:42 am

Hi and welcome Steve Smile
    You should enjoy it with the UKAFH
    stevesnowball
    stevesnowball
    Admin

Post  stevesnowball Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:20 pm

ermaster wrote:Hi and welcome Steve Smile
    You should enjoy it with the UKAFH

Thanks! If last weekend's hunt was an indicator, it'll be very enjoyable and I'm looking forward to meeting up with other members over the coming months.
    Kosmos
    Kosmos
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  Kosmos Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Welcome!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 pm