UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

2 posters

Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800

James_Booth
    James_Booth
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Empty Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800

Post  James_Booth Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Hello folks!

In preparation for the Aust hunt on the 22nd, I've been browsing the Internet in search of a good compact camera for finds that either can't be removed due to damage or are too small to remove. After spending a good few days looking around, I've come across one which is great at macro photography (this is what you'll need for those nice close-ups). It's the Canon PowerShot A800; whilst almost all of the controls are automatic, you can alter the flash, exposure, focal length and zoom (That's all you really need for quick shots). It has a 10.6 mega pixel sensor and runs on two AA batteries; this is great as it means you can easily swap them out on a hunt if needs be. It uses standard SD Cards and comes with a USB cable and software disks.

Here are a few test photos that I took (Apologies about the lighting, my studio lights are currently on loan to someone):

Ammonite at 10cm from the lens:
    Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Img_0010

Close-up at 1cm from the lens:
    Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Img_0011

Amber fragment at 5cm:
    Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Img_0012

Close-up at 1cm:
    Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Img_0013

Considering the size and price of this camera, it is surprisingly good. It was originally retailed at £80 but you can pick one up refurbished from Canon's eBay account for £31 (inc. P&P). In fact, it performs better at macro than my previous £150+ Lumix did!

I would thoroughly recommend this camera for those who want to get some good close-up shots on location without risking their £100/200+ cameras.

Let me know if you want more information,

James

Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Empty Re: Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800

Post  Guest Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:48 pm

Nice one James, good advice.

I am going to be testing out the camera on my new phone at Aust - in fact perhaps I should test some close ups here.
    James_Booth
    James_Booth
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Empty Re: Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800

Post  James_Booth Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:03 pm

What phone brand/model is it?

I personally don't use cameras in phones as I prefer to have a few more controls, but that's just me Razz The optical quality can vary drastically so I'm quite intrigued!

James

Post  Guest Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:19 pm

Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Camtes10

Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Cam_te10
    That's about as close I can go

Camera on Samsung Galaxy s3 - 8 megapixle. The flash is a bit week.

I usually take a Fugi Finepix S9600 about with me but its rather cumbersome.

Same picture taken with Fuji:

Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Cam_te11

meh... need some lights.
    James_Booth
    James_Booth
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  James_Booth Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:49 pm

Spleain wrote:

meh... need some lights.

That's where I come in - I've got some portable lights, but they are currently on loan.

Those pictures still come out quite well considering that it's a phone camera. If you have £30 lying around I'd thoroughly reccomend the A800 though Smile

James

Joe
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Paleo - Photography: Canon PowerShot A800 Empty Canon Powershot A800

Post  Joe Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi James,

Superb information - greatly appreciated...how do you find the battery life of the camera? I'd be worried that it would get through AA batteries in no time. Also, could you recommend any portable lights for photography?

Kind Regards,

Joe
    James_Booth
    James_Booth
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  James_Booth Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:16 pm

Hey Joe,

That is one of it's downsides; it can get around 300 - 350 shots with one set of AA batteries. The best thing to do is get yourself an 8 pack of rechargeable and just cycle through them. Then if worst comes to worst, you can just buy some AA's.

It depends on what you are looking for - how powerful? What kind (Bulb/LED)? Flash or constant light?

Let me know what you want the lights for and I'll give it a think,

James

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 6:04 pm