UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

3 posters

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex

rob1713
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex Empty Field Found Fossils from East Sussex

Post  rob1713 Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:40 pm

I'm new to the forum so I thought i'd have a try at posting a few of my better fossils found in the fields beneath the scarp slope of the south downs in East Sussex. In the past i usually gave them away but since a visit to the Isle of Wight I found i'd like to know more about what I have found.
    I know very little about them so any help with identification would be gratefully recieved.

1 & 2.
    These are a common find here, though its rare to get them without plough or frost damage

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex Photo_13

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex Photo_14

I believe this is an ammonite formed from marcasite,

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex Photo_15.

Another shell formed from a material similar to Marcsite without the crystaline appearance that Marcasite usually has.

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex Photo11

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex Photo_17

These large ammonites have turned up in the past when the plough has gone a bit deeper than usual. Unfortunately this one has been out in the frost for a number of years,

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex Img_0010

Thanks for looking.

Rob

macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex Empty Re: Field Found Fossils from East Sussex

Post  macrocephale Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:08 pm

They look great! The first two are Echinoids (sea urchins), and 4 is a brachiopod. (I couldn't be any more specific I'm afraid, there's thousands of species of each!)
    Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

Field Found Fossils from East Sussex Empty Re: Field Found Fossils from East Sussex

Post  Chapwi Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:15 am

Nice finds my friend

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 1:35 pm