UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

4 posters

Why is the forum so dead???

Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

Why is the forum so dead??? Empty Why is the forum so dead???

Post  Chapwi Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:23 am

For some reason we cant get this place going

Any ideas how to improve it??

Cheers
    Craig
    Kosmos
    Kosmos
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Why is the forum so dead??? Empty Re: Why is the forum so dead???

Post  Kosmos Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:13 pm

I don't think it is the forum thats bad. I think it is due to lack of people so not a lot gets posted. To get it to pick up a lot more active posters are needed to keep a constant flow of posts.
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:15 am

There aren't really that many threads that can carry on, coupled with the amount of people- and those that are on here are generally older. On reddit and GTPlanet (the two biggest forums I frequent) there are a large number of people say 25-30+ but here it seems like most of the people here are that age and not regularly online whereas for most sites like this it needs a good boost of younger folk who are online regularly.. ('Older' (compared to me/teenagers) people generally make up 10-20% of contributors on most sites compared to 50% ish here, it's just the nature of palaeontology I guess, there are a few younger people into it but it's the sort of thing that's generally more popular and easier to get into later on..?).. If you look at the amount of people on uni courses there're around 10,000 people-ish in my year group at uni, most courses have 100-200+ on them whereas the Palaeontology course (Palaeobiology & Evolution for our year) set a course record of 28 with the current first years.

I log on once a day normally to see what's new and if there's anything to contribute to but with this damn anxiety coming back recently I find it hard to start posts :/ I've been prepping a lot over the last few days though so got a few fossils to post to here and Fb though Smile
    ermaster
    ermaster
    Silurian Rank
    Silurian Rank

Post  ermaster Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 am

I do try and tell people i meet about the forums, but very few are ever interested.
    I to log on every day to check what's going on.

Maybe we should advertise a bit?
    The problem is that advertising costs a lot Sad

Mainly I agree with macro.
    Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

Post  Chapwi Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:52 am

also i think it takes to long to upload pics and the site isnt a trusted site that puts ppl off too
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:06 pm

Yeah the way of uploading through Servimg is awful and confusing TBH. I far prefer Imgur, you go to the site, sign up and just click upload and you're done. Then C&P the URL of the picture and you're done, there's a reason it's the biggest/best image hosting site around (well two reasons- it's used almost exclusively by reddit too)
    Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

Post  Chapwi Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:55 pm

yeh the way we have to download pictures is terrible
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:51 am

My two fin spine pics are up through Imgur, just C&P'd the urls into the image thing.. Although I guess the forum creator only lets Servimg be the default option? Probably ran by the same people.. But yeah try using Imgur for your next one.. If the resolution is too big [it uses the maximum possible by default] (when I first posted those pics they were 4000x2268) then divide down to whatever (1000x562 for the fin spines).. I believe Flickr allows you to choose different resolutions of the same image, however I don't really like the site.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:01 pm