UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

3 posters

Does anyone know which layer in the Lyme Regis Church cliffs the Ichthyosaurs come from?

paleontologistdh
    paleontologistdh
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Does anyone know which layer in the Lyme Regis Church cliffs the Ichthyosaurs come from? Empty Does anyone know which layer in the Lyme Regis Church cliffs the Ichthyosaurs come from?

Post  paleontologistdh Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:59 pm

I know people find Ichthyosaur bones on the foreshore all the time, but I'm still wandering which layer they come from.
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Does anyone know which layer in the Lyme Regis Church cliffs the Ichthyosaurs come from? Empty Re: Does anyone know which layer in the Lyme Regis Church cliffs the Ichthyosaurs come from?

Post  macrocephale Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:41 am

I'm stuck on my phone atm so I'll try to keep this short geek : I think there are multiple layers there that yield bone. If you Google something along the lines of 'Lyme Regis stratigraphic log' or 'Lyme Regis stratigraphy', preferably in google scholar, you will get a log of the cliff section which will show the various beds of rock and which yields what. Sorry I can't explain more atm..
    paleontologistdh
    paleontologistdh
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Does anyone know which layer in the Lyme Regis Church cliffs the Ichthyosaurs come from? Empty Re: Does anyone know which layer in the Lyme Regis Church cliffs the Ichthyosaurs come from?

Post  paleontologistdh Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:29 pm

macrocephale wrote:I'm stuck on my phone atm so I'll try to keep this short geek : I think there are multiple layers there that yield bone. If you Google something along the lines of 'Lyme Regis stratigraphic log' or 'Lyme Regis stratigraphy', preferably in google scholar, you will get a log of the cliff section which will show the various beds of rock and which yields what. Sorry I can't explain more atm..

Thanks anyway!
    paleontologistdh
    paleontologistdh
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Post  paleontologistdh Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:05 pm

I went to the Natural History Museum the other day and saw most of the Ichthyosauars (from Lyme Regis) are about 203-186 MYA.
    Does anyone know what layer that is?
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:47 pm

I'm pretty sure it's part of the Lias, but there's more than one section they come from. You can't take fossils from the cliffs there anyway, only those which have worn out and fallen to the ground
    paleontologistdh
    paleontologistdh
    Present Day Rank
    Present Day Rank

Post  paleontologistdh Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:19 am

macrocephale wrote:I'm pretty sure it's part of the Lias, but there's more than one section they come from. You can't take fossils from the cliffs there anyway, only those which have worn out and fallen to the ground
    Hello!
    Thanks but the whole cliff is in the Blue Lias. I only asked because I wanted to know what color the rock was, not because I wanted to go and attack the cliff.

Thanks anyway.
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:39 am

Like I said before, you'd need a stratographic log, which shows the different horizons of rock as well as any fossils are found where, they shouldn't be too hard to find. Also, there are a number of text books on the area you should be able to find in a library that would have them. Something along the lines of 'Field guide to the British Jurassic', or 'Jurassic or the Dorset Coast' (I don't think they are the titles dead on..)
    stevesnowball
    stevesnowball
    Admin

Post  stevesnowball Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:50 pm

The cliffs at Lyme Regis are pretty complex, geologically and a stratigraphical map is attached (I hope) for reference purposes.

Most ichthyosaur and plesiosaurs in the Blue Lias of Lyme come from the Sinemurian bucklandi zone, within the upper part of the Blue Lias. The Saurian Shales are probably the famous bed for ichthyosaur and plesiosaur remains but they are not entirely confined to this section. However, the Saurian Shales occur in a dangerous topmost section of Lyme Regis’s almost vertical, crumbling cliffs. The Shales themselves and adjacent strata belong to the Zone of Arnioceras and are also of interest because of their yield of fish and invertebrate fossil remains.

It's also worth noting that most notable horizons for ichthyosaur/ plesiosaur remains are regularly searched by professional collectors, who know the rocks like the backs of their hands and so, inevitably, vertebrate yields are very poor to the amateur collector, although not entirely unknown.

A fairly accessible section of the Sinemurian bucklandi zone of the Blue Lias can be found at the eastern end of East Cliffs. The Saurian Shales at Church Cliffs is virtually inaccessible and very dangerous. The best place to look is along the beach or along the cliffs after a rockfall (safety helmet strongly advised!) or heavy storms. It is said that for every one specimen found in place in its bed, twenty are picked up loose on the cliff-slopes and on the beach!

Summer holiday time at Lyme Regis and Charmouth is not a good time, as thousands of tourists weekly comb the beaches, looking for that elusive ichthyosaurus!
    Good luck if you're going there.

Does anyone know which layer in the Lyme Regis Church cliffs the Ichthyosaurs come from? Lyme_r11

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:29 pm