UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

Reign of the giant insects ended with the evolution of birds, study finds

Reign of the giant insects ended with the evolution of birds, study finds Empty Reign of the giant insects ended with the evolution of birds, study finds

Post  Guest Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:26 am

Reign of the giant insects ended with the evolution of birds, study finds

Giant insects ruled the prehistoric skies during periods when Earth's atmosphere was rich in oxygen. Then came the birds. After the evolution of birds about 150 million years ago, insects got smaller despite rising oxygen levels, according to a new study by scientists at the University of California, Santa Cruz.
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Reign of the giant insects ended with the evolution of birds, study finds Empty Re: Reign of the giant insects ended with the evolution of birds, study finds

Post  macrocephale Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:43 am

I haven't read the article but what I should say is that the high oxygen levels did not cause the arthropod gigantism in the Carboniferous, studies have shown that high oxygen levels actually suppresses arthropod growth, I'll find the lecture slides/references tomorrow..

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:59 pm