UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

When Dinosaurs Roamed a Fiery Landscape

When Dinosaurs Roamed a Fiery Landscape Empty When Dinosaurs Roamed a Fiery Landscape

Post  Guest Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:28 pm

When Dinosaurs Roamed a Fiery Landscape

- ScienceDaily (Mar. 29, 2012) — New research reveals dinosaurs may have faced an unexpected hazard: fire. The findings are published in the journal Cretaceous Research by researchers from Royal Holloway, University of London and the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago who have revealed that during the Cretaceous (145-65 million years ago) fire was much more widespread than previously thought.
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

When Dinosaurs Roamed a Fiery Landscape Empty Re: When Dinosaurs Roamed a Fiery Landscape

Post  macrocephale Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Fire is hardly an unexpected danger/ part of nature.. There are forest fires readily across the world even now, in a comparatively low-oxygen atmosphere. There are plenty of trees that need fire to be able to germinate, such as the giant redwood, which was dying out until rangers stopped putting out forest fires back in the last century.
    Also though, it may be possible that charcoal has a higher preservation bias than most other wood remains, petrification for example only happens under very rare circumstances in swamps, for example (I think, I don't have my palaeobotany lecture notes with me atm..). More charcoal in the fossil record than other wood remains would put a slight bias on the data of anyone studying the topic

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:21 am