UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

Research group suggests Madagascar's unique animals arrived on rafts

Research group suggests Madagascar's unique animals arrived on rafts Empty Research group suggests Madagascar's unique animals arrived on rafts

Post  Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Research group suggests Madagascar's unique animals arrived on rafts

- (PhysOrg.com) -- Ever since the island of Madagascar was first visited by people, some two thousand years ago, there has been speculation about the unique plants and animals that live on the world’s fourth largest island; one where roughly ninety percent of the wildlife is found nowhere else. For many years, it was believed they came to be there during the time when the island was still physically connected to Africa, but that reasoning has fallen by the wayside as it has been shown that the island separated some 88 million years ago, while most of the animals that live there didn’t arrive till just 60 million years ago, forcing evolutionary scientists to search for other explanations. Now new evidence by an international group of researchers is proposing that the animals got there by floating on rafts during a time when prevailing currents would have made the journey more plausible. They have published a paper on their ideas in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

I couldn't have made this up, but yeh that makes sense.
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Research group suggests Madagascar's unique animals arrived on rafts Empty Re: Research group suggests Madagascar's unique animals arrived on rafts

Post  macrocephale Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:30 pm

The raft idea sounds silly but it's a major mechanism in the global dispersion of animals. But by raft they don't mean intricate carvings and oars, simply anything big that floats in the ocean, such as a log or floral mat.

Research group suggests Madagascar's unique animals arrived on rafts Empty Re: Research group suggests Madagascar's unique animals arrived on rafts

Post  Guest Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:35 pm

macrocephale wrote:The raft idea sounds silly but it's a major mechanism in the global dispersion of animals. But by raft they don't mean intricate carvings and oars, simply anything big that floats in the ocean, such as a log or floral mat.

Yeh it does make sense, I have this cartoon image in my head of animals heading off with a spotted hanky tied to a stick... not dissimilar to a scene in Bambi I believe. - maybe that's worrying?
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

Post  macrocephale Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:13 am

More like the scene from Disney's Dinosaur surely? (I cannot remember Bambi at all lol..)

Post  Guest Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:42 pm

macrocephale wrote:More like the scene from Disney's Dinosaur surely? (I cannot remember Bambi at all lol..)

Disney's Dinosaur? - not come across that. Perhaps you should review it in film/book

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:32 am