UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

5 posters

charmouth trip

scooby doo
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

charmouth trip Empty charmouth trip

Post  scooby doo Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:40 am

no pictures i am afraid will sort this out one day soon! just thought i would let you all know about my trip to charmouth in dorset it had been 18 months since my last trip so couldent wait to go again! left worthing 5am arrived on a falling tide at 7.30am did my usual hunt for fools gold on the beach as this often leads to some nice fools gold whole anomites which are beautifull bagged a few within minutes was then asked by an amateur tourist how to find fossils and told him there was one by his foot! i no longer consider myself an amatuer of sorts as been collecting in dorset for nearly 10 years now! i walked a bit further on and decided to do my usual and walk "round the horn" as i call it stumbled across a large slab full of fossils that would fit in my rucksack but decided against it as i already have a huge slab in my lounge lol! had lunch and found many large fragments of annomite in the mud and some smaller ones for the tourists on my trip back!
    after filling my rucksack with some heavy stuff i noted some fossilized shrimps in thier thousands in the clay, this clay if any of you have seen it is the most soul destroying clay for fossil hunters as in it are many wonerously preserved annomites and things with real intense colour and detail but they just disintergrate when removed just like the shrimps did! i have never seen shrimps in the clay and it just goes to show you never know what you are going to find! i started on my long walk back and stumbled upon a vertebra from an ichosaur by pure accident as i was texting my wrorried girlfriend to tell her i had not been killed in a landslide lol!
    i had never found vertebra before so was thrilled to say the least! i performed my customary giving out of fossils to the tourists and families on the way back to the car (they are always entralled to be given fossils as they rarely find any good ones and i feel if i can spark an interest in a youngster then its worth the effort!)
    after changing my muddy clothes in the toilets popped in to see my mate at charmouth town fossil shop (not the heritage centre, although nothing wrong with that place!)
    if i ask nicely he always shows me "behind the scenes" as it were, today he had a 10 foot baby plesiosaur skeleton which he was preparing for sale, last year i saw a baby t-rex skull, popped into lyme regis and saw another old associate and filled in the fossil gaps in our lives since we last met, its funny how they remember me, got home at 6.30pm and went to work at 7pm very satisfied, am not going to leave it so long before my next trip! hope i have not bored you to death with my report, but just thought i would share it with you lot on here!
    ta ta for now, and when i can finnaly upload pictures i have some pretty good stuff in my collection now!!!!!
    ermaster
    ermaster
    Silurian Rank
    Silurian Rank

charmouth trip Empty Re: charmouth trip

Post  ermaster Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:31 am

Well that definitly looks like you had a amazing time Smile
    im glad you are giving people fossils as we need a few more fossil hunters as they are rather thin in numbers really :/
    scooby doo
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  scooby doo Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:34 pm

have just asked my 10 year old daughter if she fancies going to lyme regis looking for fossils in the school hols and she wants to go so another trip in the next few weeks then yay! would have loved to go fossil hunting when i was a wee kid but no one ever took me lol! does anyone fancy meeting up down there? we are going to go on sunday 26th of august if anyone is interested?
    Joe
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

charmouth trip Empty Charmouth

Post  Joe Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:17 pm

Sounds like you had a very successful trip! You mention you've been collecting there a while; any idea what species of ammonite you've found on your trips? It's great that you're taking your granddaughter to Charmouth! I'm sixteen, and I can tell you that there's not enough younger people into fossils - thanks for sharing your passion with her! I'd love to hunt down at Charmouth with you two, but unfortunately, I'm away that week...let me know when you go again in the future and maybe we could meet up if you're interested.

Kind Regards,

Joe
    ermaster
    ermaster
    Silurian Rank
    Silurian Rank

Post  ermaster Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:24 pm

Joe wrote:Sounds like you had a very successful trip! You mention you've been collecting there a while; any idea what species of ammonite you've found on your trips? It's great that you're taking your granddaughter to Charmouth! I'm sixteen, and I can tell you that there's not enough younger people into fossils - thanks for sharing your passion with her! I'd love to hunt down at Charmouth with you two, but unfortunately, I'm away that week...let me know when you go again in the future and maybe we could meet up if you're interested.

Kind Regards,

Joe
    at last some one nearish my age group Razz im 14 and know nobody else near my age group who likes fossils

-Strathian
    scooby doo
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  scooby doo Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:39 pm

not a problem joe! i try to go at least once a year! i have been into dinosaurs and fossils etc since the age of 10 i reckon, i also draw dinosaur heads in pencil which i am told are really good, i asked a chappie in lyme regis fossil shop if they would sell them on a commision and they agreed so they cantbe that bad lol! no pictures to put up as unable to at the moment grrrr! as regards to the species of ammonites i find i havent got a clue lol! i cant be the only one who doesent classify his fossil finds, "ammonite found in charmouth" is all i need, type in youtube "finding fossils" and some weird and wonderfull fossil discoveries come up, i filmed on my phone me finding a big golden annomite on my last trip and when i get my technology sorted i will upload pictures and film etc! have you got any decent fossils in your collections you two?
    scooby doo
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  scooby doo Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:42 pm

"grandaughter?" cheeky devil she is my daughter lol (i was a late starter) Very Happy
    ermaster
    ermaster
    Silurian Rank
    Silurian Rank

Post  ermaster Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:39 am

not to decent... i collect fossils and minerals and i have been given alot of my minerals by other people and have found not many myself.
    as for fossils i have some material from Aust that i have collected (not to much but some) i have a few bought fossils to.
    so on the whole not a too big collection i have a few cotswold stone with alot of shells in (i have one that has more shells then rock)
    and alot of other peices.
    Joe
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  Joe Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:42 pm

Glad to see there is a few younger members around, Ermaster - it seems like you have a diverse and interesting collection - congratulations! I do apologise Scooby Doo - not quite sure where I got Granddaughter from!! I've been collecting for 4-5 years and I'm a bit obsessed with taxonomy so nearly all of my collection is identified. Lias ammonites are my area of interest and I have a range of species from the Charmouth area. I've hunted at Charmouth quite a few times these last few years, and have found 25 or so Ichthyosaur bones, a Plesiosaur bone, plenty of the more usual ammonites, and my most rare find to date is an insect wing. I look forward to viewing your collection and drawings whenever you manage to get them uploaded Scooby Doo!

Kind Regards,

Joe
    ermaster
    ermaster
    Silurian Rank
    Silurian Rank

Post  ermaster Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:18 am

As do i look forward to seeing your collection Smile i have been in fossil hunting for 3-4 years but i only really started getting proper matierial 2 years ago.
    my mineral collection is better then my fossil one but thats because i have a rare crystal from south africa that was found by my gran i also have a set of
    polished eggs of every type of ore and mineral in kenya or some were like that (no daimond) but i do have a rough diamond ( very small on surface but mabye more inside).

-Strathian
    scooby doo
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  scooby doo Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:15 pm

i wish i could find some big bones at charmouth lol! sounds like you lot have quite a collection! am not into minerals but have some nice intersting bits of fools gold with wierd shapes on them (sort of square) which i have found, have been amazed how many cheap fossils i have seen and purchased from car boot sales recently! maybee one day i will identify my ammonites, but my friends and family would get wrorried as it is they think its strange how many fossils adorm my shelves in my front room, another area i would like to explore is the prepping of fossils, that really interests me on an amatuer scale, maybee in the winter months in front of the fire? dont know how much the tools would be or where to start off lol! i still think you cant beat the sheer "exitement" of finding a fossil that once lived millions of years agoon a planet we still dont really understand what it was like back then! i went to rye this weekend which is near dover and was shocked at the prices in a fossil shop ammonite large polished one £2000 in rye same one in lyme regis £400 dont know how long the shop has traded for or how much longer they will be open !
    happy hunting you rock hounds!
    scooby doo
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  scooby doo Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:17 pm

oh yeah forgot to say my girlfriend of three years is into gems and minerals so a match made in heaven and she tolerates my fossil collection (we live in seperate houses) Laughing
    sal7373
    Palaeogene Rank
    Palaeogene Rank

Post  sal7373 Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:22 am

Hi Scooby doo....im staying in Lyme for a week from this Saturday...would be great to hunt with fellow enthusiast/s Smile
    barrylee
    barrylee
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Post  barrylee Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:15 pm

looking at going to charmouth in nov dec time , anyone going then, could use a few hints of where to look etc, thanks

Post  Guest Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Well you are going at the right time of year, on season gets fairly vacuumed. Now there are others who can probably give you better advice than I can on the place but the concentration of great fossil shops in lyme regis makes any trip there worthwhile. Keep us up to date this how the trip goes!
    sal7373
    Palaeogene Rank
    Palaeogene Rank

Post  sal7373 Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Hi Im back there (Lyme Regis) on 26th October for a week...if you are staying at Charmouth the beach at Black Venn I find the most productive :-)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 pm