UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

3 posters

Charnmouth

Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

Charnmouth Empty Charnmouth

Post  Chapwi Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:53 pm

This site in the past was one of the best sites in the uk.
    But due to the extensive over fossil collecting from this site there isnt to much there as me, rob and aidan found out on 29/4/11
    i wouldnt right off this site completely i just wanted believe all of the hipe.
    Charnmouth Charnm10
    Joe
    Quaternary Rank
    Quaternary Rank

Charnmouth Empty Charmouth

Post  Joe Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:17 am

Firstly, sorry for my absence. I've been quite busy recently, and simply haven't the time to get into my fossils. I will get round to writing the webpage about Charmouth for UKAFH, but I don't have the time right now.

Charmouth is the most famous fossil hunting location in the whole of the UK. It has been recognised for it's astounding fossils, and the quantity which they can be found in. Mary Anning, the Princess of Palaeontology, was at the forefront of these unique discoveries - making several fantastic finds, including a complete Ichthyosaur, amongst other things, at the mere age of 12! Now-a-days the Charmouth area is heavily picked over by countless people. Charmouth provides a unique opportunity to find a range of fossils which are suitable for both beginner, and professionals.

Fossils: There are plenty of fossils to be found, although depending on what you are after it can be challenging. There are common finds to be had such as Belemnites, Ammonites, Crinoids, and even Ichthyosaur bones. There are also rarer finds to be had such as insects, complete marine reptiles, and very rarely dinosaur bones.

Where to look: Just about anywhere is worth a look at Charmouth. Digging directly into the cliffs is not illegal, therefore shouldn't be attempted. The shingle at Charmouth provides opportunity to find loose fossils, but also ammonites can be split out of the hard limestone rocks. Ammonites in the limestone rocks can be difficult to find, and only a certain type withstand preparation. The best type of rocks to look for are called flatstones, which are long thin pieces of limestone which frequently have the edge of an ammonite pointing out and can be split along the plains.

Finds are more prolific in the winter, but there are finds to be had in the summer. To summarise Charmouth is a good location to find fossils, and you are always guaranteed to come away with something, but in order to find rarer finds you have to spend a reasonable amount of time searching.

Regards,

Joe
    Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

Charnmouth Empty Re: Charnmouth

Post  Chapwi Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:16 am

hey Joe, hope your well?

Do the write up when you have the time mate

Craig
    Knochie
    Knochie
    Palaeogene Rank
    Palaeogene Rank

Charnmouth Empty Charmouth-Stonebarrow.

Post  Knochie Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:37 pm

I've just returned (Sunday) from a week spent on the Dorset Coast, conditions were not ideal due to the torrential rain, and in some places they were quite dangerous.
    Anyway, a couple of finds just prepped (more to come if they turn out ok).

Sorry no id as I'm not really an ammo fan, but you have to keep the other half happy.

Charnmouth P1020610

Something strange going on as the ribs smooth out towards the mouth border.

Charnmouth P1020611

Charnmouth P1020612

Something pyritic.

Charnmouth P1020613

Sponsored content

Charnmouth Empty Re: Charnmouth

Post  Sponsored content