UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
UK Amateur Fossil Hunters

In Affiliation With:

3 posters

how much??????......................

mr_inappropriate
    mr_inappropriate
    Admin

how much??????...................... Empty how much??????......................

Post  mr_inappropriate Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:26 am

Price of life….

I like many other fossil hunters have a desire to fill a designated shelf full of finds and pieces of prehistoric life. Some times in order to own these things, we sometime have to buy these instead of find them, financially we are all different.
    After scouring the internet I decided to look on eBay to see what bargains I could find…..
    I was genuinely shocked by the price that people will charge for fossils….hundreds, thousand, millions!!!! It really is unbelievable,
    I struggle with the concept of people charging this much for fossils,
    Small Crested Nyctosaur …. £50,454.09!!! really? Whoever is selling this should be questioned on his motives immediately
    I understand there will always be a charge for these and everything else that is sold of this nature but can people justify selling a once blossoming life for such a profit?
    I don’t mind owning ammonites, trilobites, teeth of all types, ribs and other bones, if I find any I will be over the moon, I also don’t mind paying a small amount for a Moroccan trilobite because I do not frequent morocco that often, so the purchasing them for my collection is the only way for the time being.
    These fossil that cost in excess of £1,000,00 + should have been donated to small museums for people to enjoy and not stashed away by a private collector etc….
    I know if I ever find a rare or complete discovery I will do the right thing……….
    Chapwi
    Chapwi
    Admin

how much??????...................... Empty Re: how much??????......................

Post  Chapwi Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:50 am

mr_inappropriate wrote:Price of life….

I like many other fossil hunters have a desire to fill a designated shelf full of finds and pieces of prehistoric life. Some times in order to own these things, we sometime have to buy these instead of find them, financially we are all different.
    After scouring the internet I decided to look on eBay to see what bargains I could find…..
    I was genuinely shocked by the price that people will charge for fossils….hundreds, thousand, millions!!!! It really is unbelievable,
    I struggle with the concept of people charging this much for fossils,
    Small Crested Nyctosaur …. £50,454.09!!! really? Whoever is selling this should be questioned on his motives immediately
    I understand there will always be a charge for these and everything else that is sold of this nature but can people justify selling a once blossoming life for such a profit?
    I don’t mind owning ammonites, trilobites, teeth of all types, ribs and other bones, if I find any I will be over the moon, I also don’t mind paying a small amount for a Moroccan trilobite because I do not frequent morocco that often, so the purchasing them for my collection is the only way for the time being.
    These fossil that cost in excess of £1,000,00 + should have been donated to small museums for people to enjoy and not stashed away by a private collector etc….
    I know if I ever find a rare or complete discovery I will do the right thing……….

Well said buddy
    macrocephale
    macrocephale
    Pre-cambrian
    Pre-cambrian

how much??????...................... Empty Re: how much??????......................

Post  macrocephale Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:13 am

Fyi, that is one of TWO Nyctosaurus specimens EVER found, much better than the other, and was found by a private collector. The price on that thing is pretty much justified. It's really common things at ludicrous prices that isn't. Such as websites like the I saw one recently with at least 1000 Megalodon teeth, most of which were priced over $500-1000. There's a difference between true value, demand, and being downright extortionate.

Also, the two Pterosaur experts at my uni were thinking of trying to get funding to buy that! Razz But a little too much for our department perhaps!
    mr_inappropriate
    mr_inappropriate
    Admin

Post  mr_inappropriate Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:41 pm

my only worry is that if only 2 of these have been found then not alot of people will be awear of these creatures, a private collector selling it for a stupid amount then surely it makes my point even more clear that things like this should be placed in a muesuem for everyone to see due to its rarity?

Post  Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 am

mr_inappropriate wrote:my only worry is that if only 2 of these have been found then not alot of people will be awear of these creatures, a private collector selling it for a stupid amount then surely it makes my point even more clear that things like this should be placed in a muesuem for everyone to see due to its rarity?

True and often institutes or museums do buy these pieces but if there was no monetary value in it the person who found it may not have given two hoots and trashed it let alone even look. A problem however with the value of fossils is that some areas get trashed, often illegaly by scavengers recklessly collecting, efecting the environment around them let alone carelessly handling potentially important specimens... and then this trickles down to us as responsible hunters with understanding and respect are not welcome to visit areas once accessible. However as part of UKAFH opens doors.

So the monetary value of rare specimens is good in the sense that it can help preserve them, but on the other hand destroy them. ohhh I dont know. - Many people do donate but sadly they often go in archive and difficult for as amutures to get access to them. Where as if a museum or institute payed quite a sum for a specimen its more likely to go on public display do you think?

Scum, scum, scum, scum - http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/scotland/fossil_looters_raid_dinosaur_isle_1_1974811
    mr_inappropriate
    mr_inappropriate
    Admin

Post  mr_inappropriate Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:47 am

i totally agree, the chances of ever finding some speices is slim to none, this can be because of money commitments or family life,work etc....so it would be nice to go and see some of these on display in muesuems,
    it is a shame that there are only a few good hunters out there that follow guide lines and codes and do it for the love of hunting rather than the mighty buck!!
    if an amateur finds a intresting find and donates to a muesuem becaused they think its worth while then the right thing has been done, it may just be logged away and files etc but the right thing has been done,
    its not all about the dollar.....

Post  Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:55 am

mr_inappropriate wrote:i totally agree, the chances of ever finding some speices is slim to none, this can be because of money commitments or family life,work etc....so it would be nice to go and see some of these on display in muesuems,
    it is a shame that there are only a few good hunters out there that follow guide lines and codes and do it for the love of hunting rather than the mighty buck!!
    if an amateur finds a intresting find and donates to a muesuem becaused they think its worth while then the right thing has been done, it may just be logged away and files etc but the right thing has been done,
    its not all about the dollar.....

Or they can donate it to UKAFH and we'll take it round schools and scouts and kids can actually hold or touch it (supervised) - much better than in a cabinet!
    mr_inappropriate
    mr_inappropriate
    Admin

Post  mr_inappropriate Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:01 am

or just give it too us?

Post  Guest Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:18 am

mr_inappropriate wrote:or just give it too us?

donate

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm